Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change: Week Two

Alright well....here's an update on my SMART goal! To be perfectly honest, it's not going to be the most positive post, since I haven't done so well this past week. My SMART goal is to reduce the amount of plastic water bottles I use to one per week, and by the end of ten weeks, be only using a glass water bottle. No more plastic ones! This past week was a little tricky, since I already had plastic water bottles at home that I had purchased. So I wanted to use them and not just toss them out, but that contradicts my goal. Regardless, I ended up using them. On the other hand, I haven't purchased any more plastic water bottles since the start of my goal, so that's progress! I haven't really experienced any other challenges yet. It is difficult though, since it's so simple to just grab a water bottle in the store and not think about it. I felt pretty good about not purchasing any more water bottles, but felt guilty after using the ones I had. Especially since I remembered my goal AFTER I used the bottle. This week I learned that I should recycle the plastic water bottles I have at home and that I need to get to the store to purchase a glass one. I have reusable plastic water bottle at home, but would really like to end up using only glass in the end. My plan for is to purchase a glass water bottle within the next week here, so I can start using it! I plan on sticking with my goal, since I do like it and I think that it will be achievable in the end. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Don't be so down on yourself! I think you did good with your goal considering you already had previously bought water bottles. If you have the motivation, calculate what you would normally spend on water bottles in one week. Then add it up for the month. Let's say you spend 40 bucks in a month on just water bottles. That's 40 dollars you would have "wasted" on bottled water, and you could use that to go shopping ;). I kind of think of it like that when I want to purchase a water bottle or something from a vending machine. It's helping the environment and you're saving money.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is hard to not use a plastic water bottle. I always use my aluminum water bottle, but this weekend I bought a plastic bottle of water since there was no drinking fountains available. But at least you are using reusable waterbottle, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't feel guilty about using the bottles you already had. It would be worse to let them go to waste. Once you get in the habit of filling up a reusable bottle, you will forget all about the convenience of bottled water.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.