Monday, October 24, 2011

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

The Eye Opener this week was about finding out more information regarding a cosmetic item that you use. I chose to look up my foundation since I use it nearly every day and I have been using the same brand for years. I never really think much about the makeup that I use, but I know that I could use more organic, skin friendly makeup. I went to http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/101853/Maybelline_Dream_Matte_Mousse_Foundation_1_Tan/ and found out more about my foundation and what is in it. The overall hazard is in the moderate range and the cancer rating was pretty low. I did learn that allergies and immunotoxicity were above moderate. I don't have any allergies and have never had a problem with this foundation so I didn't really read too much into that rating. It was interesting to learn more about what's in my makeup but I'm not sure where to go from there. I realize that the stuff in it isn't very good for you but since I haven't had any bad experience with it, I'm not sure how I feel. I think I might look into trying some different, more organic makeup the next time I go shopping. The only thing about that is that it tends to be way more expensive than the makeup I use. I'll just have to look into it more and find out what will work best for me and be environmentally friendly!

3 comments:

  1. Thats the one thing I am not sure about: the allergies and immunotoxicity. SOme people have had bad reactions to products, but the same also goes for earrings and what they are made of. I need to find out if this is the same for makeup or if it is just plain old bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how a person can use the same product for years, then, finding out that their was a lot they didn't know about it. I would never stop and think about what chemicals were in the stuff that I put on my skin. Crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true it might not be harming you NOW, but it could down the road. It's hard for me to argue this opinion you have on whether you choose to switch to more organic makeup because I don't plan to change mine anytime soon either! But, it's good to be more aware of what we are putting on our skin, so hopefully you and I will watch out for the really hazardous stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.