Monday, October 31, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Part 1: antiques/antiquing- of or belonging to the past, dating from a period long ago, junk/junking- any old or discarded material, anything that is regarded as worthless, meaningless, or contemptible, flea market-  a market, often outdoors, consisting of a number of individual stalls selling old or used articles, curios and antiques, cut-rate merchandise, etc., thrift shop- a retail store that sells secondhand goods at reduced prices. The previous definiations were all found at dictionary.com. Upcycling- the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value (wikipedia), resale shop- a charity shop, thrift shop, thrift store, hospice shop, etc. (wikipedia). I had to dig a little bit more to find the last two definitions. 

Part 2: I think the terms above have to do with environmental health in the way that they are all about reusing and making do with what you have. Oftentimes people just throw away things that could be put to good use by someone else. It's very true that "someones trash is someone elses treasure."  

Local Resources
Antiques: Father Time Antiques
395 S Lake Ave # 1, Duluth, MN 55802-2311 (218) 625-2379 ‎(no website available)

Junk: Jadco Special Haulers Inc
4011 Rehbein Road, Duluth, MN 55803-9274 (218) 724-5538 ‎(no website available)

Flea market: Studebaker Drivers Club Swap Meet Flea Market & Classic Car Show. Lake Superior College, 2101 Trinity Rd, 2 mi S of Miller Hill Mall. Annually 2nd Sunday in August. Call for dates and update information. 8am-4pm. Antiques to junk, plus on display is some 200 automobiles. Admission is $2/person and $2 parking. 218.722.8533 or 218.722.4855
E-Mail: stude.one@usfamily.net http://www.collectors.org/FM/US_mn.asp 

Thrift shop: Duluth Goodwill Industries Vocational Enterprises, Inc.700 Garfield Avenue Duluth, MN  55802 Retail store hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
218-722-3050 http://www.goodwillduluth.org/shop-locations.htm

Upcycling: I could not find anything that dealt with upcycling in Duluth. I had never heard of this term before and had a hard time finding a definition for it as well. 

Resale shop: Plato's Closet 5115 Burning Tree Rd # 315C Duluth, MN 55811-1876
(218) 733-9455
http://www.platoscloset.com/

I don't really use any of these resources. I used to go to Plato's Closet when I was younger though. I think the main reason I don't is because I honestly don't like to spend the time going through so much stuff! My mom likes antique stores and I've gone with her before, but I don't have the patience really to spend time going through so many things. The same goes for Plato's Closet. It's a great store but they have SO many clothes!

Part 3: I really liked this part of the assignment. It's really neat to see what people do with old things that most would have no use for. I found this old sewing machine this woman took apart and used the pieces to make jewelry. Super cool! Next, I found these wine glasses that were constructed out of glass jars and candlesticks for a wedding. The wedding is being held in a barn with a vintage theme, so it works out great. I also found a headboard that was created out of an old door. It looks awesome and is very vintage looking. These are all great ideas and none that I would have ever thought of. I think looking at all these projects makes me feel a little envious that I didn't think up any of them! It really is amazing what new items people can come up with just by using the materials they have on hand.


2 comments:

  1. I also think its inconvenient having to look through so much stuff at a thrift store. Sometimes you won't find anything, but other times you can find some great stuff there, for great prices too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of remaking things too! My aunt makes earrings out of mason jars and they are so pretty! Thank you for all of the helpful links :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.