Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Share & Voice: The Daily Green

The Daily Green is a really cool blog that I came across and wanted use for this Share and Voice. I spent awhile looking over this blog and it really contains some great information on the environment as well as up to date articles on what's going on in our world. I found this article on BPA and how by March of 2012, the FDA will decide whether or not BPA will continue to be allowed to be used in plastics and certain types of cans. I know this is an issue that all of us, as health educators, are concerned about. I certainly hope that the FDA bans the use of BPA, as it is a toxic chemical that can be leached into the body through use of a water bottle, for example. This is something that I have become more and more concerned about throughout this semester, so I certainly hope that the FDA makes the right decision to ban the use of BPA. There is also a section of this blog that focuses on tips and advice.  Simple things like turning off your computer when you aren't using it and turning down the thermostat can really help make a difference. Check out this blog for more great advice and articles on being environmentally friendly!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruthanne

    I personally think that the FDA should ban BPA. If it is proven that it has adverse affects of that which can hinder the reproductive system as well as cause obesity, I think that those issues alone would be enough to ban this harmful chemical. Every week I get more perplexed as to why the government, knowingly, allow harmful chemicals to invade products that we consume. It makes me think what are those people consuming if they are aware of the harmful chemicals that are being used in products. Are they victims too? Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthanne!

    I loved your tips and tricks website sooooo much that I put the link on my facebook! I really liked that website with it's inclusion of numbers and statistics. For example, Americans idle away 2.9 billion gallons per year! I'm definitely bringing that fact to the xmas dinner table conversation.

    Until last year I never really knew what BPA meant. I was walking down the hall at UMD and a volunteer from MPRIG stopped me and asked if I would sign his petition. At the time I didn't know what MPIRG did, so I asked him for examples of what MPIRG did for UMD and society. One of the things that they did is ban BPA from certain types of water bottles, baby bottles, and other plastic products. This was way before I decided to join that group, but I was really happy with the fact that they made changes for the good of society.

    I watched the documentary Tapped again, and the scientist explained that BPA is THE toxic chemical to ban. It isn't just a minority toxin because he explained that this chemical can throw our bodies out of balance so easily.The great thing about this is class, is that we have the knowledge and ability to express our concern to the FDA and government to band BPA completely. Would you ever write a letter to a senator expressing your concern and desire ban BPA to a senator? Advocacy letter was really well written, that I think if you did one for BPA you could definitely contribute towards change.

    P.S. on Advocacy letters, I had a little accident with mine, but I posted mine on wednesday. Better a late post than not at all right?

    Thanks Ruthanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthanne,

    That is something I have gotten to be more worried about as well as this semester has progressed, the use of BPA in plastics. So many people use plastic waterbottles and aren't even thinking what is contained in them. This seems like a very cool blog from what I have seen, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.